Sarah Jane's Reviews > Belonging: A Culture of Place

Belonging by Bell Hooks

Dec 22, 08

Read in December, 2008

This book is really amazing! I finished it in two days-and really, I would say, next to Communion, it's gotta be my next favorite bell hooks book. In this book she talks about the complexities of home, of roots, of family, of belonging. She discusses the many ways in which land stewardship of African-American folks has been erased and dismissed. She talks about feeling a calling back to her home state of Kentucky where she longs to build a realtionship with the land she grew up on, where she can cultivate a sustainable lifestyle, where she can honer all that she grew up with: canning/preserving, gardening, quilting, story-telling, while still teaching and being committed to speaking her truth about power & domination. What I loved so much, though, was how she touched on the historical legacy of all of these things, about how in many ways the reclamation of her families history and legacy includes honoring the sustainable skills she grew up with, which in turn, build a relationship with the land she lives on. She discusses the many ways in which this is a political act, when done in the right context.

In so many ways this book really hit home for me, really shook me, really resonated with me.

Read it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belonging.