Katy Defay's Reviews > The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration

The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson

Aug 16, 2012

bookshelves: audiobook
Read in June, 2012

I knew I wanted to read this book when it first came out, although I didn't realize just how important and timely it would be. This book should be mandatory reading in every American History class.

First of all, the narrator, Isabel Wilkerson, was perfection. I don't believe anyone could have done a better job.
The story really opened my eyes and made me aware of things that I just could not know from living in my own small and isolated world. I was fascinated and curious to follow the individual story threads out to the end. Along the way, I often shook my head in disbelief or grimaced in amazement that these things could have happened in my country. It feels almost like parallel worlds were sharing the same space-time continuum. I do feel I am a better, more knowledgeable person for having listened to this history of the African-American migration and what it was like to be African-American in this country. We've come a long way but I fear, we still have a long way to go.

I strongly recommend this well-researched, well-written, and expertly narrated book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Warmth of Other Suns.