Aleta's Reviews > The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection

The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection by Alexander McCall Smith

11939190
Aug 16, 12

Read in August, 2012

Having read all of the other No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency novels, I thought this one fell short. Maybe it's because the mysteries weren't solved as the book went along, but kind of all together in a hurry at the end. Maybe it's because Violet Sephotho didn't really make an appearance. Mma Makutsi's house wasn't finished at the end even though the teaser on the inside front flap made the house building out to be a big dramatic part of the book and it wasn't. I got a bit lost in the long musings about the affairs of humanity and the long musings about stew.

It was disappointing that Clovis Anderson was a lost, depressed character who, even though he went along on one client visit, didn't seem to add anything or be the strong source of detective wisdom that Mma Ramwotse relied on all these years. *An out-of-place character, both in personality, clothing and mood, can be a great writer and source of wisdom even if he doesn't have a bestseller.*

I was left wondering if Mma Makutsi is a bit emotionally disturbed because she believes her shoes really are talking to her and she takes it too seriously.

I have loved the series though and thoroughly enjoy the warmth that this series conveys along with its heartening dose of morals. I would still recommend reading this feel-good series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Limpopo Academy of Private Detection.