Glendalee's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Jan 15, 13

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult, favorites
Read from January 14 to 15, 2013

WOW! Why did I not read this book when I first heard about it? All the times I passed this book on the shelf at target and barnes and nobles make me cringe!I am sorry Veronica Roth for doubting you.

This book has definitely made it to my favorites list.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Glendalee Liked

Veronica Roth
“...there is power in self-sacrifice.”

Veronica Roth
“I am selfish. I am brave.”

Veronica Roth
“A brave man acknowledges the strength of others.”

Veronica Roth
“You think my first instinct is to protect you. Because you're small, or a girl, or a Stiff. But you're wrong."

He leans his face close to mine and wraps his fingers around my chin. His hand smells like metal. When was the last time he held a gun, or a knife? My skin tingles at the point of contact, like he's transmitting electricity through his skin.

"My first instinct is to push you until you break, just to see how hard I have to press." he says, his fingers squeezing at the word break. My body tenses at the edge in his voice, so I am coiled as tight as a spring, and I forget to breathe.

His dark eyes lifting to mine, he adds, "But I resist it."

"Why..." I swallow hard. "Why is that your first instinct?"

"Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up. I've seen it. It's fascinating." He releases me but doesn't pull away, his hand grazing my jaw, my neck. "Sometimes I just want to see it again. Want to see you awake.”

Veronica Roth
“Sometimes crying or laughing are the only options left, and laughing feels better right now.”

Veronica Roth
“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.”

Veronica Roth
“I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though.”

Veronica Roth
“Then I realize what it is. It's him. Something about him makes me feel like I am about to fall. Or turn to liquid. Or burst into flames.”

Veronica Roth
“Somewhere inside me is a merciful, forgiving person. Somewhere there is a girl who tries to understand what people are going through, who accepts that people do evil things and that desperation leads them to darker places than they ever imagined. I swear she exists, and she hurts for the repentant boy I see in front of me.

But if I saw her, I wouldn't recognize her.”

Veronica Roth
“Human beings as a whole cannot be good for long before the bad creeps back in and poisons us again.”

Veronica Roth
“I feel like someone breathed new air into my lungs. I am not Abnegation. I am not Dauntless.
I am Divergent.”

Veronica Roth
“It must require bravery to be honest all the time.”

Veronica Roth
“People tend to overestimate my character," I say quietly. "They think that because I'm small, or a girl, or a Stiff, I can't possibly be cruel. But they're wrong.”

Veronica Roth
“I have a theory that selflessness and bravery aren't all that different.”

Veronica Roth
“You think giving you a hug would give away too much?" he says.
"You know," I say. "I really don't care."
I stand on my tiptoes and press my lips to his.
It is the best moment of my life.”

Veronica Roth
“Politeness is deception in pretty packaging.”

Veronica Roth
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.”

01/14/2013 page 170