Sofi Carpenter's Reviews > Good Calories, Bad Calories

Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes

641985
Dec 04, 08

bookshelves: health

I love anything that has to do with nutrition. If it wasn't for all those hard chemistry classes I probably would have pursued a degree in nutrition. The information in this book is fascinating. The author makes a good case for today's dietary problems including obesity, diabetes, heart disease etc. The culprit, he argues, is a constant diet of refine carbohydrates. It isn't the calories that matter as much as our body's response to the glucose in those "bad" carbs. He also discusses at great length a sort of conspiracy by the government and food manufactures to withhold important information on health for monetary reasons. The only draw back of this book (and why I didn't give it 5 stars) is that is quite dense, definitely not a light read. At times it can be difficult to get through the many scientific details and countless studies. But hey, if you like nutrition like I do, you will trudge through it and really enjoy it.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Good Calories, Bad Calories.