Leeswammes's Reviews > Miss Me When I'm Gone

Miss Me When I'm Gone by Emily Arsenault

4207502
Aug 16, 12

Read in August, 2012

When I got this book I was very excited: it looked great! It has several different types of chapters: a chapter from Gretchen’s book, chapters about Jamie and her attempts to find out more about Gretchen’s background, and, in a different font, Gretchen’s draft chapters for her new book. This looked like it was going to be a fun read.

But I found it slow and, for the most part, uninteresting. After the first 100 pages I considered giving up but I was just interested enough to keep going. I found the chapters of Gretchen’s earlier book, about the country singer women, totally uninteresting. Not because I have no interest in country music but because the chapters were not telling me anything that I wanted to know. They were a mixture of information about famous country singers (think Tammy Wynette and similar) and a more personal account from Gretchen, her personal thoughts and feelings about what happened to these women. I think the idea was that these chapters would tell the reader in a subtle way about Gretchen and her family relationships but it didn’t work for me.

The mystery, in which Jamie looks to find out what may have happened to Gretchen (and to her mother, who was murdered) is more interesting. However, the fact that Jamie is pregnant and that her husband is trying to stop her from pursuing possibly dangerous persons, didn’t do anything for me, they were distractions to the story that I didn’t care about.

The outcome of the murder mystery (mysteries, both murders are solved in the end), was not totally believable but satisfactory. It was fun to try and think who the murderer(s) could be and why. I kept switching from one person to the next, so that made it fun to keep reading.

Better than the average cozy mystery.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Me When I'm Gone.

Beth Your review is somewhat like mine. Good to see. I don't like to think that I just didn't understand.

Leeswammes Thanks for your comment, Beth. I am also glad I'm not the only one!