Monica's Reviews > Anne Frank Remembered

Anne Frank Remembered by Miep Gies

2251935
Aug 16, 12

Read in August, 2012

Audiobook. Enjoyed this very much. Excellent narrator. Anne Frank's familiar story told from the rescuer's viewpoint. I found most interesting the lives of the Dutch during the Nazi occupation, as I already knew the story of the Franks. This didn't add much to that knowledge, other than Meip's impressions of the family. She's mortified, for example, that the dentist is depicted in the play and movies as a difficult character. She insists he wasn't anything like those characterizations. She defends the family from criticism at every turn. Of course, she downplays her own courage in sheltering not only the Franks, but several others in hiding as well. She and her husband even hid a boy avoiding deportation for labor in Germany in their own home for awhile, and they sheltered other Jews as well. After her husband's death, she learned that he had been heavily involved in the Resistance, and probably saved many more people, both Jewish and Dutch.

There is a documentary film by the same name that interviews Meip herself, and others. I'd love to see that. All in all, very interesting, an excellent audiobook, highly recommended for those interested in the subject.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anne Frank Remembered.