Joshua's Reviews > Imagine: How Creativity Works

M_50x66
Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: summer12, teaching, hclibrary
Read in July, 2012

Enjoyable read—will stimulate you to develop some new ways to solve problems. Highly recommended.

p. 7 - "It's often only after we've stopped searching...that the answer arrives."

p.44 - Trick to solve insight problems: genericize the verbs to find parallels.

p. 61 - COMT Val/Met polymorphism correlates with attention ability---would be interesting to do a citizen scientists genotyping study of this.

p. 64 - Dionysian vs. Apollonian creativity.

p. 69 - "We're always looking but we never really see." Research is the way to 'see', teaching is the way to 'look' (work this into a teaching statement sometime)

p. 73 - "The only way to see through this clutter is to rely on the knife of conscious attention."

p. 82 - people can't perceive their relative progress towards solving insight problems--inability to detect progress is a sign that you should relax and work on something else, the most productive thing is to forget about the task. On the other hand, if you can perceive progress, than you need to pay attention and work at it to be productive.

p. 110 - prime by imagining being a 7 year old child

p. 123 - Harness he creativity of the tyoung. Adolphe Quetelet's inverted U-curve of creativity w.r.t time--(i) Find new challenges; (ii) Say an outsider; Mihaly Csikszentmihali (Psychology@Claremont) says that 2 years of college is optimal for creative ideas -- important to get young people into research following freshamn/sophomore year.

p. 132 - Encouraging misunderstanding

p. 134 - Create a 'Dossalizer' text editing mode to aid in proofreading?

Develop technique & play.

p. 159 - candid group criticism

p. 163 - The "Gould principle" (I coin this in honor of my friend/colleague Mark, who seems to have 'discovered' this independently and applies it in faculty meetings): Beginning with a moment of dissent—even when the dissent is wrong—expands creative potential of the group.

p. 163 - "plussing" as a form a criticism (Pixar)

p. 267 - W. H. Auden said that when he found himself in a roomful of scientists he felt like a "shabby curate who has strayed by mistake into a drawing room full of dukes."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Imagine.