Mandi Schreiner's Reviews > One Wrong Move

One Wrong Move by Shannon McKenna

Sep 15, 2012

liked it
Read from August 16 to 19, 2012

I’m not sure how I’ve missed out on Shannon McKenna’s books. As I sat down and started reading One Wrong Move, I was totally sucked in by the hero Aaro. He is an asshole. I mean really. And if he was standing here he would totally agree with me. He actually admits it several times in the book. But, he is a very likable asshole, and you know deep down he only acts that way because he is extremely vulnerable. But on the outside he is tough. And can talk dirty in the bedroom like no one else.

I found the blurb a little misleading because it doesn’t mention that this book will have characters with Psi ability. There is a new drug on the market that gives people super human skills, like telepathy, or being able to go about unnoticed. Nina is a social worker going about her business, when her Aunt Helga shows up out of the blue and stabs her with a needle, injecting her with an unknown substance. When she wakes up, she is at the hospital and Nina starts hallucinating, seeing people as zombie figures. While she has no idea why or what was injected into her, she realizes bad guys might be after her now for some reason. What she doesn’t’ know is that the drug she was injected with is a very powerful, addictive substance, which is in high demand on the black market.

All Aaro wants to do is visit his dying, estranged aunt before she leaves this world. But he owes a big favor to his friend (which also happens to be Nina’s friend) so instead of going to hospice, he goes to play bodyguard for Nina. When he realizes she has fled the hospital with bad guys in pursuit, he kicks it up a gear and gets her to safety.

Once they are together and on the run, they sort of develop this, seize the day type mentality. When the adrenaline wears off, they look at each other with lusty gazes. Oh the sex in this book is dirty and erotic. As I mentioned earlier, Aaro is a dirty, dirty boy. The things that come out of his mouth made me blush! And some of it is so over the top it made me roll my eyes and laugh. But either way I was thoroughly entertained with these two in the bedroom.

One of my favorite things is that Nina doesn’t cower when Aaro goes all alpha on her. He can be mean, and wicked in the things he says to her. Instead of getting offended or breaking down in tears, many times Nina just laughs at him. Which totally baffles Aaro, but also breaks down his asshole shield that he has so carefully constructed allowing someone else to slowly work their way into his heart.

I didn’t love the Psi angle in this one. A drug giving regular people superpowers, plus hints that Nina and Aaro were born differently. It’s just not a favorite storyline of mine. I prefer to keep books like this straight contemporaries. I found the beginning of the book to be a little slow and confusing, but once Aaro and Nina take off together, it really picks up.

I’ll definitely be checking out Shannon McKenna’s back list. I enjoyed her voice.

Rating: B-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Wrong Move.

Missy Ann Standing In The Shadows is one of my all time favorites. I have purchased this book at least 3 times. Once in trade, once in mass, and again for my Kindle. I probably have picked up some second hand copies to give to friends too.

message 2: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine Shannon McKenna's books are awesome! The McCloud and Friends series is an excellent read, starts with "Behind Closed Doors".

message 3: by Annabeth (new)

Annabeth Albert I enjoyed the early McCloud books a lot too. These recent ones with the super powers haven't resonated as much with me, but the McClouds have been multiple re-reads for me.