Michelle's Reviews > The Saffron Kitchen

The Saffron Kitchen by Yasmin Crowther

Dec 28, 08

bookshelves: bookclub
Read in December, 2008

I liked the idea of the book more than I liked the book. But I'm still looking forward to discussing it at book club.
At times I was distracted by the differing points of view - Crowther switches from first person to third person and back again. There were some chapters where I wasn't sure who was talking - and even when I knew who was talking, it was unclear the timeframe. Was it present day or 40 yrs ago?
At the end, Maryam explains the big secret of her life and it ended up being rather anti-climatic. That part of the book could have been expanded quite a bit but as is, it was kind of a let down. Not that the circumstance wasn't tragic, but it sure wasn't a secret or a surprise to the reader.
I liked the character of Sara very much and found her much more interesting than her mother. Maryam was presented as this defiant strong-willed young girl who really turned out to just be a victim and someone who made some pitiful and hurtful choices.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Saffron Kitchen.