Carlos's Reviews > Stalin: The Court of the Red Tsar

Stalin by Simon Sebag Montefiore

11928736
Sep 13, 2012

Read from August 16 to September 13, 2012

Riveting. I felt as if I were sitting with the "Vozhd" himself... and in the presence of his toxic elements. I sat through the meetings with Ribbentrop and Molotov.

The details about how Joseph Vissarionovich handled Hitler's Operation Barbarrosa, his blunders, his paranoia, his sleepless nights and how finally Mr Djugashvili finally let Georgi Zhukov be all that he could be were fascinating. I wish there had been a little bit more about the battles of Stalingrad, Moscow, and the greatest tank battle the world ever witnessed: KURSK... but I understand Mr Montefiore needed to be very selective, taking into consideration the fact that his extensive research bore fruit in two giant volumes.

I felt sick just reading about the machinations of Yezhov, Yagoda, Beria, Malenkov, et al, but I also found myself drinking wine to Georgian tunes, eating from the Tsar's menu and wondering if I would end up on trial, to be taken to the Lubianka later.

The book is filled with details that make the characters jump to life. In the end you just want to continue learning more. So I will see if I can find the Memoirs of General Zhukov.

I highly recommend reading YOUNG STALIN, and COURT OF THE RED TSAR. Both written by Mr Montefiore.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stalin.