Tori Gingrich's Reviews > Les Misérables : Tome I

Les Misérables  by Victor Hugo

F 50x66
Aug 16, 2012

Read in August, 2012

When I was younger, I had read the abridged version of this book, and now that I am much older, I decided that I wanted to try and give the regular book a try. I thought that this book was amazing and way better than the abridged version that I read, even though it was really hard to understand because of the language that was used. The writing style was a little dull though, even though it was beautiful, I felt as if the author would just go on and on about one certain thing and eventually, I would just skip that part and try and figure out what happens next in the book. I think that the character Jean Valjean was not an innocent character who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but that he was basically scum of the earth who got redemption. I also felt extremely bad for Fantine and I felt that if she had asked someone for help, she would have not died and left Cosette by herself. I also enjoyed how Victor Hugo weaved, politics, ethics and religion into this story as well. For example, Marius is extremely angry when his father suggests that he should make Cosette his (meaning Marius) his lover instead of his wife. Overall, I absolutely loved this book and I think that everyone should try and read it (abridged or unabridged) at some point.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Les Misérables .