Samira's Reviews > The Circuit: Stories from the Life of a Migrant Child

The Circuit by Francisco Jiménez

Dec 04, 08

Read in November, 2008, read count: once

Samira lopes

I just finished reading The Circuit by Francisco Jimenez. it’s a fiction book of a young boy named Francisco and his family. The theme of this book is “ sometimes it takes the things that you never expected to get what you want”.

This book is about a seven year old boy named Francisco and his family. Francisco’s Mexican family consists of him, his older brother Roberto, his mother, and father. His family is from El Rancho Blanco and doesn’t have a wealthy life so they immigrate to the united states. They don’t consider it crossing the border they call it la Frontera. They immigrate to the United States to find a better life. Before they could start a better life in the U.S.A they had to work very hard. But it took a while and struggle to brush off who they really were in El Rancho Blanco and start all over in the United Stated.

This book is interesting and very memorable. Immigration is something that goes on everyday and is usually always on the news and for me to read and see how it really is done had me biting my nails. It also made me see that not everyone’s life is easy. My favorite memorable moment was on chapter one when he was describing how they crossed the border. I was nervous myself if anything was going to go wrong. The book was very descriptive, it went right to the point, and if their was any confusion about anything it ended up explaining it in at some point. This affected me a lot because my friends and I sometimes make jokes about immigration and now I have changed my mind. I have realized it happens to people all around us and making a joke out of it isn’t going to make it any better.

I would recommend this book to anyone that speaks or understands Spanish because its easier for them to understand the Spanish parts in the book and to see some of the struggles their ancestors went through. If you liked Belle Teal by Ann M. Martin. Both of these books deal with family struggle and struggling for a better life.

In conclusion I enjoyed reading The circuit and I hope to relate my opinion with someone who has also read this book. it’s an unbelievable book and I enjoyed every part of it. If your family doesn’t have to go through struggles just know theirs others out there that deal with it everyday of their life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Circuit.