Ashley Lauren's Reviews > Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

Jun 06, 09

bookshelves: fantasy, do-not-recommend
Read in June, 2009

I had heard from /numerous/ people that this book was 1) nothing like the musical and 2) bad, however I decided to give it a try myself and found that, while I wasn't nearly as disgusted with it as most people seemed to be, I didn't really like it either. I genuinely found the first 1/3 of the book interesting. I thought that her experience in Shiz was interesting, exciting, and I liked where it was heading. However, after Madame Morrible talked with the girls... the book definitely went downhill from there. I felt lost as a reader - Maguire declared that a ridiculous amount of time passed but the problem was nothing really changed. It was hard to read about so little progress. The things that seemed to important at the beginning of the novel went unresolved and characters went back and forth from having no importance to having loads, or vice versa. I am glad that I read it, however, I can't say that I would recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked.