Megan Henrich's Reviews > I Was Told There'd Be Cake

I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley

Aug 16, 12

Read on August 16, 2012

This book was extremely funny, and it is the type of book that you fly through and you don't want it to be over. I'm sure I'll pick up more of her books. With that said, I'm seeing that a lot of people are saying that she's "just like David Sedaris," and I can't even express how sick I am of that comparison. Just because someone is funny, and a writer, does not mean they are David Sedaris. Don't get me wrong, I love Sedaris. He's great. With that said, Crosley has her own writing style, and her own humor, and it's not Sedaris-esque, in my opinion. *end rant*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Was Told There'd Be Cake.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by xq (new) - rated it 5 stars

xq my favorite!!

Megan Henrich That's why I'm reading it :) I love it so far!

steph b. jumping in on the sloane love fest here! yay!

Megan Henrich :)

message 5: by xq (new) - rated it 5 stars

xq if "liking" were a goodreads feature, i'd like on all these comments.

message 6: by Kalli (new)

Kalli Kirsten gave me this book; I enjoyed it, but I found her personality a little bit jarring. With Sedaris, I felt like I was listening to someone who I would have wanted to have coffee and gossip with. With Crosley, I kind of just wanted her to shut up. That being said, I also laughed out loud at some points and was super pleased to see a female humorist create such a lovely piece. Ok, I'm done. :)

Megan Henrich I mean, I had a few moments like that, like when she said she was giving $20 to that homeless man even though no one would see it, I was kind of thinking "yea, but now it's in a book, so..." and I guess she didn't know it was going to be in a book when she wrote it. I mean, I don't know if I could get coffee with Sedaris. I don't think he would like me too much. I mean, I think it's very difficult to write humorous non fiction, because to write it, you have to take the leap and say "my life is interesting enough to be in a book," and she definitely kept my interest, and made me laugh. I do think she's a talented writer (and I want to read more of her stuff), but I also can see where you're coming from.

message 8: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra YAY! I bought this book when we were in our "Borders is closing" panic when I worked there for $6. Then I asked my boyfriend to get me her second book for Christmas. Can't wait to read it!