Izzy's Reviews > Bloomability

4719603
Aug 16, 12

bookshelves: ya-teen-books
Read in August, 2012

Here's part of the blurb:

"The second life of Dinnie Doone began when she was thirteen. In Dinnie's first life she moved home a dozen times. In each new town her family landed in deeper trouble. Then, without warning, she was snatched by total strangers and taken far away to the other side of the world."
Did you see the words in bold? I don't think you did so here they are again. It says that she was "snatched" by "total strangers".

I knew it was a children's/Young adult book but how could I pass on a kidnapping? There was no kidnapping. Actually, Dinnie is going to be staying with her Auntie and Uncle in Switzerland. Let's revisit the blurb, shall we? I distinctly remember reading that she had been kidnapped by strangers. Oh well, my mistake!
Despite finishing this book, the audience is not given a reason why she is staying with them. Dinnie makes it sound like she's been kidnapped and hasn't got a clue what's going on which doesn't make sense. There is no way that a thirteen year old would not have been told/asked that she's going to be staying in a different country. No gun was being pointed at her head so she was not being held against her will.

I thought I was buying a book that involved kidnapping and was filled with adventure. Did I get it? No, I got a book about a thirteen year old girl rambling about her identity, lack of self-worth and how she's missing home.
There were a set of interesting characters but they revealed very little about themselves so I didn't see much point in having so many secondary characters. Creech's writing/Dinnie's narration was a nightmare because there was a lot of waffle and the writing was all over the place. And, of course, there were huge plot holes.

I would have given it no stars if I could. It's weird to know that you've been lied to by a blurb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloomability.