Mimi Smith's Reviews > Moonglow

Jul 16, 14

bookshelves: pnr
Read in August, 2012

5 stars

Kristen Callihan has officially made me her devoted fan. Now, that's not just because the name Diana Gabaldon(my fav author ever) is on the cover. Nope it's Ian Rannulf and his wolfiness that made me a believer. Ok, Daisy was kind of cool, too.

About Firelight

Oh, God there was such a buzz about that book. So many people loved it! I don't know, but that kind of made me want to love it so bad. And I did like it. But I didn't love, LOVE it, so I ended up feeling disappointed. Didn't have that problem here, didn't expect very much but fell in love with Moonglow.

About Shifters

Or Lycans, or weres, or...whatever. I love well-done stories with them. It has so much potential! The way they can think weird-like and the cute, dangerous, sexy factor can be great. I loved Bayou Moon, which is one such book.

I like Lycans here. They are Scottish, sufficiently cute and sexy and with whole lot of problems to work through.

About Moonglow

Daisy(Miranda's sister) is finally free of an abusive marriage and she plans to fully enjoy that freedom. So, when a string of murders connected only with the victim's same perfume(same as hers) and the gruesome, werewolf execution mess up that plan, she will have to turn to notorious Ian Rannulf for help.

Ian has not had the best, er, couple of decades, really. He's alone, his family gone, banished and growing weaker because of his refusal to let the wolf out. But, then firecracker Daisy rushes into his life, and suddenly things are looking up. Very much so. Except the psychotic were killing women and wandering London. But that, of course is a minor obstacle when love is in question.

I absolutely adored Daisy and Ian. Her cheerful, no-nonsense demeanor and her love of life and courage endeared her to me thoroughly. Ian...is tortured and kind of sad, but when he's with Daisy we see the playfulness reappear, that same joy in life, and the strength he'll definitely need in this fight.

So, some flirting...

Daisy Craigmore, while having a most angelic countenance, could glare bloody murder quite well. “I don’t like you.”
He pulled her close, forcing her to lean into him. “Like has nothing to do with it. I’m watching over you until this thing is done, Daisy-Meg. You’ll not fight me on this, or you’ll see how great a pest I can be.”

“Ah, Daisy-girl, when you look at me with those eyes, even if they’re scowling at me from over your shoulder as they are now…” He smiled. “You light me up.”

And love...

“I made a lie of love.”(Poppy about her marriage)
----------------
“She is going to live in truth,”(Poppy said about Daisy and Ian)

“Ah, but if you gave it to me freely, I swear on my soul I wouldn’t let it go to waste. With everything I am, I’d give it back to you in return. I’d keep ye, love ye till my last breath, lass.”

About The World

The world, lassies and gents, is expanding. And I'm no talking about the universe. Callihan started adding all kind of new beings, societies, magic stuff. It sure makes for an interesting background, and she now has an expanded pool of characters to pick from for future books. All sufficiently unique and tortured of course.

About Winterblaze

Winterblaze, coming February, 2012 is the next book in the series, and it's about Poppy and Winston, as we might have guessed from this book. I'm intrigued as how that will go, as well as by this mysterious SOS. So, definitely looking forward to it, here. February is sooo far away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonglow.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Keri Awesome review Mimi. :-) Can't wait for Poppy's book.

Melanie Great review Mimi! I love this series too :)

Mimi Smith Thanks! Yeah, it's an awesome new series. I don't usually like Historical PNR, but somehow it works here :)

♡Karlyn P♡ Great review!! I really need to read this, I loved the first one so much.

Mimi Smith Thanks everyone! And KarLyn, I'd recommend it :)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Cool review, Mimi! Ian and Daisy romance exceeded my expectations. Their attraction went beyond lust. They were everything the other needed. So sweet! And the scene at the pub...*sigh*

Mimi Smith Anna wrote: "Cool review, Mimi! Ian and Daisy romance exceeded my expectations. Their attraction went beyond lust. They were everything the other needed. So sweet! And the scene at the pub...*sigh*"

Huh... Completely missed this... Because I was en route to Paris at the time. Yes, I was pleasantly surprised, too, since the first book didn't leave me aglow. And I still remember the scene you're talking about... *sighs back*

message 9: by Dd (new) - added it

Dd Nice review Mimi!!Added this.:)

message 10: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Dd wrote: "Nice review Mimi!!Added this.:)"

Thanks, Dd. Did you read Fireglow, the first in the series?

message 11: by Dd (new) - added it

Dd Mimi wrote: "Dd wrote: "Nice review Mimi!!Added this.:)"

Thanks, Dd. Did you read Fireglow, the first in the series?"

No.Never tried this author before.I'll start with the 1st book.:)

message 12: by Mimi (last edited Nov 13, 2012 04:45AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi Smith Dd wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Dd wrote: "Nice review Mimi!!Added this.:)"

Thanks, Dd. Did you read Fireglow, the first in the series?"

No.Never tried this author before.I'll start with the 1st book.:)"

Good, a lot of people loved the first book. Oh, and I conveniently managed to unite the names of first two books, Firelight and Moonglow into Fireglow. *thud* Way to go, Mimi!

message 13: by Dd (new) - added it

Dd Mimi wrote: "Dd wrote: "Mimi wrote: "Dd wrote: "Nice review Mimi!!Added this.:)"

Thanks, Dd. Did you read Fireglow, the first in the series?"

No.Never tried this author before.I'll start with the 1st book.:)"..."

lol..;)

Kathleen Excellent review! Loved this book. And I gotta agree with your comparison -- Moonglow had more emotional punch for me than did the prequel, Firelight.
But I didn't like Daisy's solution, at the end. :(