Ryan's Reviews > The Rise of Nine

The Rise of Nine by Pittacus Lore

Aug 16, 2012

liked it
Read from August 16 to 20, 2012

The Good:
-- This book introduces us to more of the Nine Loriens (with an addition).
-- When find out the reason for Sarah's uncharacteristic behavior from The Power of Six.
-- Lots of action
-- More powers (legacies) are gained.
-- A ton of Mogs die!

The Bad:
-- While there is a lot of action, not much else takes place during this book. The first two books did a decent job of describing Four, Six, and Seven, so we understand their behaviors. The new characters (with the exception of Nine, maybe) are still leaving me a lot of questions. Especially since Eight's background is just weird... But Eight is an interesting character.
-- The ending is very abrupt and not very satisfying. It's almost like the writers though, Gee -- when need to write another book so don't end it here!
-- Told from three point of views: Four, Six, and Seven. This wasn't too annoying, since they were separated by chapters. Sometimes it takes a page a two when trying to figure out who's speaking. In the the final chapter, all three POV's are going and are distinguished with different fonts. Really annoying. Just do a George RR Martin and name the chapter for the character the story is following.
-- No Sam.

While the thought this book was the weakest of the of the series, I am definitely looking forward to the fourth book. I have too much invested in these characters and story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Rise of Nine.

08/16/2012
5.0% "ARC, bitches!"
08/16/2012
15.0% "Story is told from 3 perspectives: Four, Six, and Seven. And Nine is kind of an asshole... But good start so far."
show 7 hidden updates…