Damecatoe's Reviews > Why Moms Are Weird

Why Moms Are Weird by Pamela Ribon

Aug 01, 07

Read in March, 2007

At the end of this book, there is a little Q & A with the author. She explains that she struggled with the difference between story and voice while working on this novel. But I think she’s got it. Why Moms Are Weird is not the same story as Why Girls Are Weird, but it projects from the same voice. (Jennifer Crusie novels, I cannot say the same thing about you.)

Reading pamie.com off and on, I know some parts of the book that have their beginning in her Real Life and that’s sort of fun, because you don’t usually get that with authors. On the flip side, it made me feel more connected to the characters and at one point I had to put the book down or I was going to start crying. Which is, of course, not a bad review.

There is growth in the characters, too, and I always appreciate ending a book on that. Maybe it was being in therapy, but I really dislike it when characters remain stuck in their psychoses. I deal with enough dogs that won’t be learning any new tricks; I want to experience canines willing to grow and change.

The end of the book also mentions that Pamie started a GeoCities page back in 1998 which led to pamie.com and that without the influence of that site in her life, she’d be in a different job, live somewhere else, probably be married to someone else. And while the same is not true for me, I also started a GeoCities page in 1998. Fun little coincidence.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Moms Are Weird.