Gina - 's Reviews > Nerve

Nerve by Jeanne Ryan

Sep 18, 12

bookshelves: blog-tours
Read from August 27 to 28, 2012

Originally on my blog as part of the blog tour:

Behind a Million and One Pages

Instantly we get a connection with Vee. We also get the feeling of being backstage (ironically). Her personality and her connection to the other characters leaves her out a bit, which then brings us closer to her and her character.

Speaking of her friends, is it just me, or do you all not like Syd? She seems like the stuck up one (as well as acts like it too) and not Vee, like what everyone calls her already. In this case opposites attract or Vee is just friends with Syd so that Syd stadns out and get more attention, especially from standing next to and being friends with plain old Vee.

We don't realise how much of a friend Syd actually is until the end. Throughout the book we feel she is all about herself. Especially from the way Vee talks about Syd, is more like an obsession. Espcially from some of the things she does as well as how much Vee takes care of Syd.

We learn so much more about Vee throughout the novel. About who she actually is while in the games. We see the true side of her that the games brings out, we see the will and determination she has as well as the strength to stand up for what's right. These qualities are hidden at the start of the novel, through the book we realise that she is more than what she is believed to be, not just the shy girl hidden in the back behind everyone elses shadow. She thinks about both sides of the dare and the consequences to both sides before she acts, unlike the other players who believe that there will be no side effect on anyone else because it is 'just a dare'. Yet does everyone know that it is just a dare?

Tommy is someone who completely surprises us. The end makes us think about the kind of friend he actually is. Ian still ends as a mystery, we finish the novel still not knowing too much about him. Pssshhtt, boys. Seriously?

In the end, we look back and realise that we too are Watchers. Even though we start dispising them throughout the novel, we really end up being just like them, hanging onto every word, their every movement. We are the ones with the front seat to Vee and Ian's dares.

Both the prologue and ending leaves us craving more. We don't find out what happens after the prologue, even after we've finished the novel. But from the ending we might be able to guess because of the final dare.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nerve.

08/28/2012 page 197