Jenny's Reviews > Gregor the Overlander

Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

Aug 15, 12

I admit, I gave these books a chance because I loved 'The Hunger Games' and Suzanne Collins did not let me down. In fact, I would say all my expectations were met and then surpassed.

Gregor and Boots are the first characters you meet and you can't help but fall in love with them. Boots is a energetic two year old with lots to say, and she's a huge part of the heart of the story. Gregor almost breaks your heart because you know that at eleven, he's had to become the man of the house and grow up so fast, but he rises to the occasion.

I listened to the audio of the first three books (I've read them all now) then ran to the library and got the last two, unable to read them fast enough. The Underland is a wonderfully created place, full of people who will scare you, intrigue you, make you laugh, and even cry. I dare you not to wonder what your own Underland adventure would be like.

This book is written for a younger audience than the Hunger Games, but it's enjoyable for all ages. I was in a car with kids age: 8(boy), 12, 14(2 girls) and then my 73 year old mom and my 40 something sister. When the kids started getting whiny, I pulled out the 'Gregor' books and the entire car was dead silent as I read. I've even got the books in every format now so I'll never be without them. Sounds pretty bad, huh?

But seriously, give them a chance. It's a good, quick read that is great for a whole family.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gregor the Overlander.