Drew's Reviews > Ender in Exile

Ender in Exile by Orson Scott Card

Jan 31, 13

Read in December, 2008, read count: 1

Ender in Exile is what I wanted as a sequel to Ender's Game when I read Speaker for the Dead many years ago. Instead, Speaker for the Dead seemed to have a completely different Ender and the storyline through the following books (Xenocide and Children of the Mind) was written for people who swim in the deep end of the Sci-Fi genre.

I swim in the shallow end, with the occasional foray into the deep end. Ender's Game is a book I would recommend to anyone, even those who have not even gotten into the Sci-Fi pool. It's a great story. Speaker was the first sequel written and it begins many years after Ender's Game ends. Exile fills in the gap, and does so wonderfully. It also seems to be written for Sci-Fi novices. But since this is an Orson Scott Card book, be prepared for exceptionally bright children, and people who overthink almost every situation.

Also, while not necessary, you may want to read the Ender's game parallel novel Ender's Shadow and the series of books that follow it prior to picking up Exile since part of Exile wraps up a loose end from the Shadow series. It's not necessary that you do so, but it will help you to understand and enjoy those chapters that much more.

On a side note, I had read a few of the chapters of Exile previously as short stories in Card's online magazine "Intergalactic Medicine Show" (www.intergalacticmedicineshow.com) and I enjoyed reading the stories again as they filled in the blanks. I also recommend the Intergalactic Medicine Show for those who would like to take occasional forays into the deep end of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre but don't want to invest too much time in it.

So, to wrap up: First read Ender's Game (Everyone), Next read Ender's Shadow and the rest of that series (if your interested) and then read Ender in Exile (if you're interested). It may seem like a lot to read because it is, but it is all very enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender in Exile.

Julie There's an ender's shadow?! Never knew that! I read the other 3 books,speaker,xenocide and children. Starting now on this exile although i have to say,nothing beats the 1st book,ender's game.

Kyliecallme Shadow Series is SUPER awesome! But of course, when you finish those, you have to read the Formic War series... Only two so far but the third comes out in June 2014!

Drew Julie wrote: "There's an ender's shadow?! Never knew that! I read the other 3 books,speaker,xenocide and children. Starting now on this exile although i have to say,nothing beats the 1st book,ender's game."

I love what Card has done with the Ender-verse. He has written back stories for many of the battle school kids (found on Intergalactic Medicine Show). I also like his novellette "War of Gifts" which tells a story about battle school during Ender's time there. The movie Ender's Game was good (not nearly as good as the book, but they rarely are) but I think to really do Ender's game justice, it has to be a mini-series (think the BBC 8 hour Pride and Prejudice, but for people who prefer to go to the future rather than the past).

Kyliecallme Just Started Ender's Exile myself. Had sworn I'd never read it, and it's boring so far! But I'll finish, one of these days...