Annie Modesitt's Reviews > The Time in Between

The Time in Between by María Dueñas

Aug 15, 12

bookshelves: fiction, historical
Read in August, 2012

It wasn't that the book was bad, it was an interesting story. But the author teased out elements of the story in such an unsatisfactory way that it was painful. Then, breathlessly, she'd practically leap over the pertinent piece of information in a coy manner;

[paraphrasing]
"I looked through the peep hole, and saw the person I expected to see. I let them in [blah, blah, blah]"

And then just before the end of the chapter she'd FINALLY toss in who'd been at the door. Just odd.

The whole book had this "leading up, leading up, leading up, LEADING UP -- and, fizzle..." quality about it. Each section felt this way, and the overall book did, too. So much detail that really didn't matter to the story (but which I enjoyed reading) and damned little detail that DID matter to the story. I didn't believe the spy aspect at all.

The picture on the cover was lovely.

If you're looking for a beautifully written novel with sewing as a sub-plot, read The Seamstress, one of the best books I've read in years!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Time in Between.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dawn I found that really annoying too!

Gaile I see from all the comments, some like it. Some don't. I love it and in spite of the length never got bored once!

Luzdivina Sánchez What's the author of The Seamstress?

Roseline Don't forget that you read the English translation of Spanish Book. A book always loses a lot in translation. This is what happened with this novel. It is a lot more interesting to read in Spanish. We get all the imagery, poetry that the author meant to use. The French translation was no big achievement either. The translator went for the simplest, easiest way to translate an idea. Shame.

Roseline The Seamstress is the same novel. El tiempo entre costuras, The time in-between, L'espionne de Tanger. All different titles used for the same novel.