Elizabeth's Reviews > I Know This Much Is True

I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb

Aug 29, 2012

bookshelves: 2012
Recommended for: inward looking people with chips on their shoulders
Read from August 15 to 27, 2012

It's hard to keep these ginormous door stop books entertaining through the whole thing but Wally Lamb does a pretty good job of it here. One has to have a fascination with personal family history to see it this way and luckily for me I do. The narration is by one twin and opens with his mentally disturbed second half lopping off his hand in the public library. What follows is his struggle with everything insightful in the history of him as he struggles to keep his shit together in the present. We see into both his and his twin's past, his mom's past, his step-dad's past, his friend's past... basically everyone noteworthys past. If you like to analyze the effects of history on your present day, you are in for a real treat.

There are psychiatric sessions and it's those little bits and pieces that I did not care for so much but I understand that they are integral in getting the book to its end. I preferred reading straight takes on personal histories instead of "making progress" comments and analytical insights.

It's a neurotic story on an epic scale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know This Much Is True.