Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)'s Reviews > Anna and the French Kiss

Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins

Nov 13, 12

bookshelves: children-young-adult, contemporary, 2012, audio-book
Read from November 07 to 13, 2012

I absolutely LOVED Anna And The French Kiss.

Etienne! I wish he were real...I'll totally admit to swooning over him. He's definitely my favorite character in the whole book. The whole book, I was rooting for him and Anna to end up together, and I was so glad they did in the end! They are such an adorable couple, and I liked seeing them go from friends to boyfriend/girlfriend.

Speaking of Anna, I liked seeing her grow. She arrived in Paris not knowing any French and thinking she knew who she was, to leaving France understanding some French and knowing that her 9 months in Paris changed her for the better. Plus, she explored France (a little) and while she didn't stray too far from school, I liked her exploration of Paris and how she got more comfortable leaving her boarding school and going off to a city where she didn't know the language. I really liked that she loved movies, and visited different movie theaters in Paris.

It really is a cute, fun, feel-good read. There was a lot of squee-ing at the end. Actually, it happened a lot throughout the book. I have to say that Anna's dad kind of reminded me of Nicholas Sparks. In the sense that Anna's dad totally writes books that Nicholas Sparks would write.

The characters were great (except for the ones that were supposed to not-great), and they were all so distinct. They definitely had their flaws and quirks and their own personalities.

Have I mentioned how much I love Etienne St. Clair? Because I love him! Please excuse me while I act like a fan-girl.

Anyway, Anna And The French Kiss was predictable and full of cliches...but in a good way. I didn't care that Anna and Etienne wouldn't get together until the end. I didn't care if it took them the whole book to admit they liked each other. I didn't care if there were a ton of obstacles in their way.

It was predictable and it didn't matter, because I could not listen to it fast enough. And speaking of listening to it, I did enjoy it as an audiobook. Guest did a great job narrating, and she did a pretty good job with making the characters distinct. She also captured Anna really well.

Final thoughts: I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED Anna And The French Kiss! Great characters, great setting, and an all-around fun read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anna and the French Kiss.

Quotes Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee) Liked

Stephanie Perkins
“Is it possible for home to be a person and not a place?”

Stephanie Perkins
“I mean, really. Who sends their kid to boarding school? It's so Hogwarts. Only mine doesn't have cute boy wizards or magic candy or flying lessons.”

Stephanie Perkins
“French name, English accent, American school. Anna confused.”

Stephanie Perkins
“Girl scouts didn't teach me what to do with emotionally unstable drunk boys.”

“Oof," he says.
"Hey, there's a bed there."
"Thanks for the warning."
"No problem.”