Crystal's Reviews > The Hallowed Ones

Oct 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from October 08 to 11, 2012

Rating 4.5

The Hallowed Ones has scared the ever living daylights out of me and I LOVED it! If you are looking for that creepy Halloween read look no further! I can guarantee this one will satisfy your spooky craving and leave you shivering with goosebumps.

In the first few chapters I thought this book was going to turn out being more of a psychological thriller rather than in your face creatures of the night scary, but boy was I WRONG. I will NEVER forget page 120 and I will NEVER walk into a huge store cooler again *shudders* To put all this into perspective for you I was so scared out of my mind that I would not open my closet or go into my guest room because the lights were off in there and I was terrified something would grab me! I have also sworn off my basement..nuh huh not going in there ever again. What makes this book so scary are the vampires. I know we have all read about them before, but lately it seems all the vampire books are about the dreamy vamp. Don't get me wrong I still love my dreamy vamps, but every once in awhile it is nice to bring back the scary vampires and all the gore. Laura Bickle does this brilliantly!

The story starts off normal enough with Katie and Amish teenager getting ready to leave her community for Rumspringa. This is where young men and women are offered the opportuinty to see the world and make their choice whether they want to commit to the Amish lifestyle or not. Most come back and pledge their faith, but some discover that they are meant for more. Katie isn't sure which side of the fence she will fall into and when a helicopter crashes into the field by her house, Katies dreams of going off are sidelined by the impact this crash has on her community. Katie finds out that the Outside has been taken over by something and that her little community is one of the only safe places left in the US, but for how long?? When Katie takes matters into her own hands things really get put into perspective and holy vampire babies does IT.GET.REAL!

I haven't ever read a book set in this type of setting so I was enthralled by all the Amish culture and practices. I will say that this book tends to be a little heavy handed with the religion, but I didn't feel preached too. The author did a wonderful job at keeping the background, history, and faith as just a part of the book. It felt more like I was in a history lesson and I really enjoyed it learning about the Amish way of life. The only other thing that didn't quite sit well with me was the ending. I am not sure if I liked how it all went down. I liked the blood crazed vampires and to see that they do have somewhat of a thought process kinda bummed me out. I am going to give the author some leeway here though because I have faith in her and I have a feeling she will keep these vampires scary.

I thought this book was fantastic! It totally held my attention and I am eager for the sequel!

winter haven books

4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hallowed Ones.

10/09/2012 page 50
15.0% "I think I am going to love this!"
10/11/2012 page 121
37.0% "OMG I need a freezer!!!!!!!!!"

message 1: by Arlene (new)

Arlene I'm scared. >.< LOL Glad you found this one fantastic. :)

Crystal @Arlene LOL! It is definitely one of the scariest YA books I have ever read!

@Sam I loved it!! Thank you!!

♥Rachel♥ Scary? Really? I'm only to 23% and I have got creepy, but not scary. Yet. I'm going to read your review after I'm done, Crystal, but I'm encouraged to see your 4 stars. :)

Crystal I wasn't scared until pg 120! That number will forever stay with me lol! When you get to the part where she is looking for soda let me know =D

♥Rachel♥ I will, Crystal. It's finally getting creepy. I'm 28% in now. :)

♥Rachel♥ Crystal wrote: "I wasn't scared until pg 120! That number will forever stay with me lol! When you get to the part where she is looking for soda let me know =D"

That was so spin chilling, Crystal! The back of my hairs were totally raised! (view spoiler)

Crystal LOL YAY you were spooked too!! I totally did too! Just thinking about that scene gives me chills!!!

Melissa Hey! Sounds great, I just started it!

Crystal Yay! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!