Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > The Night Dance : A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses

The Night Dance  by Suzanne Weyn

Sep 25, 2009

bookshelves: fairy-tale-theme, owned-copy, young-adult, arthurian
Recommended for: Fairy tale enthusiasts
Read in August, 2009 , read count: 1

The Night Dance is a wonderful combination of the fairy tale, The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and King Arthur legend. I was captivated at the first page, but at the same time wondering how the author could successfully tell this story and use the death of King Arthur and the sole remaining knight Bedivere's quest to return Excalibur to the Lady of the Lake. Well Ms. Weyn did an excellent job.

The Twelve Dancing Princesses has always been one of my favorite fairy tales. I was excited to read a fantasy story built around this tale. Ms. Weyn preserved the aspects of this story that I really liked, and gave them a different spin. I found I wanted to know more about the twelve princesses' dad, Sir Ethan Colchester, because we meet him and his wife, Vivienne, who happens to be the Lady of the Lake long before we meet the daughters. It was interesting seeing how the girls' parents met, and how this tied into the King Arthur myth. They are both shown as sympathetic characters who have reasons for why their actions have led to the princesses being motherless and locked away from the world. We also get to see the youngest daughter, Rowena find true love with the sole remaining knight, Bedivere. Also we see one of the oldest daughters fall in love with a would-be suitor who fails Sir Ethan's challenge to stay awake and see why his daughters' shoes are tattered every morning after being locked in their bedrooms. And we get to see what becomes of the other ten daughters as well. I don't want to tell you the whole story, and give too much away. It's short, but a rewarding read, especially if you like fairy retellings and King Arthur.

3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Dance .

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user Cool! This series looks interesting.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) It's very good so far. Tying into King Arthur myths. You know I'll post a review with my two cents. :)

message 3: by Rane (new)

Rane Great Review Danielle!