Julie's Reviews > Kiss the Dead

Kiss the Dead by Laurell K. Hamilton

Aug 15, 12

Read in August, 2012

So as others have noted the lack of plot substance/storyline is still sorely lacking in much of this author's recent works including this one. There are so many 'adult' scenes that seriously do absolutely nothing to move the plot along but overall take up more than 50% of the book length, that there is no room for plot or character development.
You would think that after so many Anita Blake installments this character would FINALLY be comfortable with a)her size b) her sex life c) her job and d) her choice of living arrangements. However, you would be WRONG on all counts.

The first several books in this series was awesome given the fact that the genre finally had a female hero that did all the supernatural ass-kicking herself and has some cool abilities to boot. Now, however, nearly every book that comes from Ms Hamilton has so many sex scenes that you forget what the story is about and/or if it will even get any attention from the writer. Enough with the sex already - we get it! Anita likes sex! But we want more STORY. If we wanted sex we'd either be having more of it, or be reading Fifty Shades of...something...else.

Which, BTW I have not read, nor have any intention of ever reading.
One more thing... the sex scenes have become so prominent in these books that I found myself paying attention to how much 'fictional' time lapsed between takes...answer: less than 24 hours, which regardless of how "supernatural" she is, how the hell does she even have the energy to be at the 'top of her game' when she's getting it on so often during the course of her supposed work day? And then go to work? How old is she now anyways? You would think by now that her priorities would have changed a bit, but again, you'd be wrong.
Also I did notice mention of some NEW developments that had never before been mentioned and I was like what? When the hell did that happen?
I agree with other reviewers - pay attention to what your fans want more of LKH before you have none left.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss the Dead.