April 's Reviews > The Atrocity Archives

The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross

Aug 15, 12

This book, the first in a wonderful series, made me a Charles Stross fan immediately. He has such fun combining Cold War spy scenarios with Lovecraftian goth and computer tech/sys admin bureaucracy. And I have such fun reading it. Poor Bob, computer geek extraordinaire with that kind of snide, can't take anything seriously viewpoint that comes from being smarter than most people, but also smart enough to know his limitations, gets dragged into The Laundry. The Laundry is a top secret operation to prevent evil Cthulian types from taking over the world through stupid human mistakes and experimentation with their computers. Although, as a non computer geek, I get bogged down in the higher math and computer programese, I get enough to make it a very enjoyable read.
In this book, he keeps a woman named Mo from being the (sacrificial) gateway to a Very Bad Thing, and works with an intrepid policewoman to prevent all of London from being turned into little exploding volcanoes from exposure to London's ubiquitous traffic cams, that just happen to be running a special kind of software.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Atrocity Archives.