Catherine's Reviews > Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls

Reviving Ophelia by Mary Pipher

Aug 15, 12

Read in August, 2012

The subtitle of this book is Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls, which kind of says it all. It discusses the kinds of peer pressures and cultural pressures put on adolescent girls in the 1990's and how they affect the well being of girls as they come into puberty. It is a little dated because of the advent of texting, facebook, and tweeting and the added pressures those forms of communication put on teens. Yet, it is an insightful read with a lot of case studies and examples of how girls react to pressures during adolescence. I read the book from the perspective of a secondary school teacher, which led me to the conclusion that, not being a counselor or therapist, there are limited things I can do to make a difference in individual lives. Much of what makes a difference in their lives is up to them, their peers, and their families. I can, however, be a role model, maintain interest in my students as individuals, and encourage their trust. I can encourage them to build on the interests they have and be supportive of their journey toward understanding themselves as individuals.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reviving Ophelia.