Erika's Reviews > Deadgirl

Author: B.C. Johnson
Publisher: Cool Well Press
Date of Release: April 12th, 2012
Number of Pages: 368
Source: Author for honest review.
Summary from Goodreads:
"You know how it is: go on a date, get killed, wake up the next morning. No? Just me?" - Lucy Day

Fifteen-year-old Lucy Day falls between the gears in the machinery of the afterlife. She is murdered while on her first date, but awakens a day later, completely solid and completely whole. She has no hunger for brains, blood, or haunting, so she crosses “zombie,” “vampire,” and “ghost” off her list of re-life possibilities. But figuring out what she is becomes the least of her worries when Abraham, Lucy’s personal Grim Reaper, begins dogging her, dead-set on righting the error that dropped her back into the spongy flesh of a living girl.

Lucy must put her mangled life back together, escape re-death, and learn to control her burgeoning psychic powers while staying one step ahead of Abraham. But when she learns the devastating price of coming back from the dead, Lucy is forced to make the hardest decision of her re-life—a decision that could save her loved ones...or kill them.

Review: First off this cover is brilliant, the girl with her back turned looking into the water fits Lucy perfectly. I had a bit of trouble actually getting into the novel. For about fifty pages I have no idea what happened. Which is the party where you know Lucy dies and comes back. In retrospect as I have been really thinking about this novel, I do believe it was intended to be read that way. It’s either that or the rule of the world Mr. Johnson was building were blurry and baffled me. I haven’t been able to decide. If we had fully understood what we read, nothing would have been left to explore in the end.

Lucy changed into a whole new character by the end of the novel. She was forced to grow up in her death. Her whole way of life was turned upside down. I was confused along with her as she died and then had to understand the rules of her new life. I didn’t fully fall for Zack something about him made me hold back. There were several minor characters I wish were given more screen time, but it would have drawn from the main conflict I believe. Anyways the idea that Grimm Reapers are lost souls who have been taken and have come back to collect, freaked me out. I truly thought that maybe Abraham was there to help Lucy but than BAM. Very clever Mr. Johnson, very clever.

While the main character is fifteen the book read with a larger vocabulary that I was immensely grateful for. If your looking for something a bit different pick up Dead Girl.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadgirl.