Skip Rainsmyth's Reviews > Invisible Monsters

Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk

Dec 03, 08

Recommended for: fashion models, drug-riddled transvestites, detectives
Read in November, 2008

I had really wanted to read something of Chuck Palahniuk's. I had never read any of his novels, and did not want to read Fight Club because I felt it would be too "pop" of an introduction to his work. Consequentially, my fiance bought me this novel. I have to say, I really really like the author's style. The story is dark and gory and brutal, but the writing style is humorous rather than vulgar, and the subject matter is treated with a black comedy feel. I got the impression from reading this book that the author does EXTENSIVE research to lend his worlds as much realism as possible, and delves deeply into them to ensure their believability. Because I read a ton of Haruki Murakami's novels before even checking out Chuck Palahniuk, I must compare him to Murakami-san, one of my favorite authors. He is like a darker, less-horror-more-humor, American post-modern version. The twist at the end of this novel was great; I never saw it coming, and it left me blinking in my chair for a while with a big "what the hell just happened" grin on my face. I love when books do that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invisible Monsters.