Marie's Reviews > Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life

Primal Body, Primal Mind by Nora T. Gedgaudas

Aug 15, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: general-nonfiction

I have a lot of criticism for this book already and I am on page 22. She is making a lot of generalizations about Hunter and gather lifestyles that she is not substantiating. When I look to her sources they are only other articles and books about the paleo diet and not books about anthropology and archaeology. I am also skeptical of her nutrition claims agaisnt all grains. I know plenty of ancedotal evidence that shows that diets high in healthy grains, lean meats, accompained by active lifestyles can lead to a long healthy life, as do many people and nutritionists, doctors, scientists, and grain companies. I definitely agree with her diagnosis, thus far regarding processed grains and processed sugars...but that is really common sense.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Primal Body, Primal Mind.

John Her claims on gluten and grains are known claims to the scientific community. Gluten is a killer and grains really have no redeeming factors. Feel your criticisms are unfounded

Marie You cannot just make claims and say they are known and supported by some homogeneous scientific community without any evidence. The scientific community is large and diverse and its individual parts vary greatly in acceptance or promotion of particular ideas and theories. In addition to this, the author never addresses a diet with a moderate intake of grains and gluten, she only discusses excessive intake of gluten. Moderation is a key element of nutritional health. Furthermore, any evidence she does cite against gluten is primarily referring to individuals with celiac disease, which is a disease linked to gluten sensitivity. Not citing evidence to back your theories leaves your reader with the choice to either accept fully what you say or be skeptical, and I choose to be skeptical. When you are making statements that gluten and grains cause disorders such as bipolar disorder and autism, you could be leading someone to take a big leap of faith to delay medical attention, if they decide to take you for your word. I know anecdotally, that hasn’t worked well.

Jason Fella I feel there is plenty of evidence out there, even if this author doesn't cite it specifically. There have been many many studies showing that hunter-gatherer societies who do not eat grains, are healthier in almost every respect. She also has one of the most detailed descriptions of what carbs do to the body that I have ever read.

Cyrus She does make many unsubstantiated claims. I'm waiting to finish the book and post my review on this problem, but in short I've looked for supporting evidence of some of the things she says and came up empty. Some were spot on, but those few that lack any evidence taint the entire book. What can and can I not believe? Her references/citations section should be about 100 pages longer.

Jason Fella If people want much more "proof" and solid evidence, read the book "Dangerous Grains". That's what the whole book is about, and it is well, well researched.