Laura's Reviews > Black Bird, Vol. 02

Black Bird, Vol. 02 by Kanoko Sakurakouji

Aug 15, 2012

bookshelves: type-manga, format-comics
Read on August 15, 2012 , read count: 1

I really enjoyed the first volume of Black Bird, even with its occassional silliness and innuendo. I had my reservations about Misao because she seems like such a damsel in distress, but I liked the premise enough to keep reading. After this volume, I'm invested in completing this series.

Misao wasn't quite so helpless in this volume. There was a part where she was captured, but in her defense, she doesn't have much power over a demon. She really did need someone to rescue her. What I liked about her in this one was that she was willing to hear Kyo out. She's been agonizing over whether he actually loves her or if he just wants to marry her so his clan with prosper. She finds out some things that make her open up to Kyo's affections and I just love romance in manga so I was all for that. Kyo is still a little mysterious, but he spends most of his time rescuing Misao, being jealous if any other guy blinks twice at her, and trying to talk her into having sex with him.

Since these two have become pretty settled in their relationship, I can only assume the rest of the series will include a lot of her being captured or in danger and he will have to rescue her. I'm crossing my fingers for some more serious plot moments. I think the chances of that are pretty good because there were nice moments in this volume. I enjoyed the introduction of some new characters: Misao's father and Kyo's vassals. I also liked the lead in to the next volume and Misao's new dilemma: will she want to be the Bride of Prophecy if it means being spirited away and living among demons?

Black Bird is still outside my usual comfort zone for manga. Fantasy mangas are usually really confusing, but I've Black Bird to be easy to follow and entertaining. I recommend this to lovers of shojo manga, specifically fantasy lovers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Bird, Vol. 02.