Jen's Reviews > The Guardian

The Guardian by Nicholas Sparks

F_50x66
Dec 03, 08

** spoiler alert ** Saccharine! Predictable! This is the first Sparks novel I've read and I don't understand (from this first exposure anyway) WHY this man is a bestselling author. I just didn't get the appeal... Spoiler: the "Guardian" is the dog. THE DOG. I mean, anytime the dog has to save the day, is this good?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guardian.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Katie Wow if you can't understand what Sparks was getting as the point then you need to reread it. His point was that the belated husband was "the guardian" he had sent her the dog after he past away.

message 2: by Jen (last edited Mar 14, 2012 02:11PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Jen Thanks Katie, but no, I did get it. I suppose I was not clear in my review. Husband. Dog. Yes.

Brianna Kropinack I mean I understand how you can think that but really it has a lot of deep feelings in it I mean I've read all of his books and they are all kind of alike but this one stood out the most, maybe if you read another one just give him another chance I promise you'll find one really good one and you won't question why he's a best selling author.

Kerry Jen, I have read your other reviews and have come to the conclusion that you must be completely heartless or have been scorned by love. Only someone like this could not enjoy sentimental love stories like Sparks. Go read some Sci-Fi or something.

Cristina Rivera I thought it was pretty clear that the late husband and dog were 1 in the same. It was mentioned several times how the dog wasn't very dog-like and the ending also implied it, where Julie dreamt her husband & Singer fading into one. Yes, obviously, the dog is the guardian, but the husband was, too, when you look at them this way.

Jessica This was also my first Sparks novel. I don't get the hype. Completely predictable, one of those "duh" books. I liked the idea behind it, just didn't love this book. Makes me not want to read the rest of his books if they read the same.

message 7: by Crystal (new) - added it

Crystal Burke try A bend in the road or Safe Haven those are really good.