Alex is The Romance Fox's Reviews > Living with the Dead

Living with the Dead by Kelley Armstrong

Sep 05, 12

bookshelves: authors-a-h, paranormal, series, urban-fantasy
Read from August 15 to 19, 2012, read count: 1

This is the first book I have read by this author and only realized it was part of a series after I started reading it. I think I would have like to have read the series in order as I was a bit confused with so many characters and the world they lived in. Though I have to admit, I was rather taken by the world created by the writer. A dark and dangerous world filled with human and the not so human and hidden Otherworld realm where witches, werewolves, necromancers, demons, ghosts, clairvoyants fight evil every day. Pure urban fantasy!!

In short, this is the story of Hope, the Expisco half-demon – have no idea what they suppose to be – and her boyfriend, Karl, a werewolf who also happens to be a good jewel thief…no a werewolf this time and not a “black” cat!!! They are trying to save Hope’s friend, Robyn, whose husband’s horrible death led her to move to LA and become a PR for Portia Kane, a tabloid cebulante – is that something like Paris Hilton is????? The world of empty celebrities who are famous for being or doing nothing apart from their father’s MONEY is something scary to see…even more than the evil clairvoyant Adele…..and there’s one of the most crazy and sad psychopath ever…by the end I almost forgot the horrors she inflicts on human and supernatural beings and began to feel pity for her….the world she inhabits will have driven most people to this….the scenes with the clairvoyant colony, hidden in darkness was absolutely terrifying.

With the help of the policeman necromancer, after going through the most “hold my breath” action, shot at, kidnapped, set-up, haunted by her husband’s ghost, Robyn discovers the truth about her friend and the world she lives in.

There are so engaging and likeable characters though there were far too many that I lost track of who was who and where they came from.

I did enjoy the book and it has sparked my interest to read the previous ones in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living with the Dead.