Kim's Reviews > In a Glass Grimmly

2072864
Aug 24, 12

bookshelves: first-reads, 2012, fairy-tales-and-retells, childrens, arc
Read from August 21 to 22, 2012

I won this ARC through GoodRead's First Reads. Thank you!

In In a Glass Grimmly , the companion book to the wonderfully grim, A Tale Dark and Grimm Jack and Jill are cousins who set out on a quest. Many of the stories are influenced by fairy tales and nursery rhymes, but unlike A Tale Dark and Grimm the author strays away from only reinventing and weaving the stories. Much of the book is Gidwitz's own creation. The author has moved to creating his own fairy tales.

Many of the elements of A Tale Dark and Grimm are found in this companion title. The wonderful illustrations are back as is the one-girl-one-boy protagonists, the three ravens and selfish, imperfect parents. Whereas the first focused on "under-standing" this one focuses on "con-fusion". This is a more personal story about learning acceptance of oneself.

I have to admit that I struggled with this one because it wasn't enough like A Tale Dark and Grimm . There are much less interruptions by the "narrator" and the story seems less gory (though there are still many "horrible" aspects). But at the end, I developed an appreciation for it. It may not have the same place in my heart as A Tale Dark and Grimm , but it is a wonderful story nonetheless.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Glass Grimmly.