Galena's Reviews > Royal Street

Aug 15, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: urban-paranormal
Read in July, 2012

Quick note: If you read this book and it doesn't quite grab you, I recommend sticking with it and picking up the next books in the series. Each gets better! The subsequent books are set 3 years later and the wider preternatural world is more fully fleshed out, the characters are great and the plot is a refreshing change from the standard urban paranormals you often run across! Love this series!

I was very intrigued by the "magical" system of this book, and it's something I've never seen before. In addition to weres and other "supes" there are also the Historical Undead--people (or religious gods) that had such a following or enough people that believed in them while alive (and after death, as I assume if people forget about them they fade away) that they exist in a sortof afterlife that is a parallel realm. The HUs can be summoned into our realm and then wizard police called Sentinels have to find them and send them back to their realm (because per wizard law they're not allowed to stay here).
The plot of this book is basically a group of HUs use the aftermath of Katrina (which weakened the barrier between our realm and theirs to the point that they don't need to be summoned to cross over) as a way to cross over and start a civil unrest against the Wizard Council that keeps them from crossing over.
The characters were all well-fleshed out, and the magical system was really interesting. I can't wait to see how more things are brought in in future books of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Royal Street.