Colleen Clark's Reviews > With Liberty and Justice for Some: How the Law is Used to Destroy Equality and Protect the Powerful

With Liberty and Justice for Some by Glenn Greenwald

F_50x66
Aug 15, 12

bookshelves: politics-terror
Read in August, 2012

Excellent. Brief and clearly written. The title exactly describes the subject of the book. 274pp

The Introduction begins, "As a litigator who practiced for more than a decade in federal and state courts across the country, I've long been aware of the inequities that pervade the American justice system....only when I began regularly writing about politics [Greenwald is a contributor to Salon] did I realize that the problem extends beyond...inequities....Those with political influence and financial clout are routinely allowed to break the law with no legal repercussions whatsoever."

In the summer of 2012 we can think of the big banks and bankers, the very very rich who pay almost no taxes, and the national security state that is completely unaccountable and secret - spying on citizens, punishing whistleblowers, locking up even citizens without trial or recourse etc.

Then there are our privately run prisons that use financial muscle and political power to advocate for laws and punishments that keep the prisoners coming, staying longer and filling private coffers.

Etc.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read With Liberty and Justice for Some.