Erin's Reviews > The Case of the Missing Marquess

The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer

Aug 21, 12

bookshelves: j-level, audio-books
Read from August 15 to 18, 2012

I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading more of the series. It wasn't at all what I expected in a wonderful way. I knew a bit about the series: Enola Holmes is Sherlock Holmes' sister and she solves mysteries. I thought I already knew the story: Enola helps Sherlock solve his cases or maybe she is the one who actually solves the cases and Sherlock gets the credit but I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't this at all.

Enola is a late in life child so Sherlock and Mycroft are already living in London while Enola and her mother live in the country. Enola's mother disappears sparking the beginning of Enola's new life. The book is really smart which I should have guessed with Springer as the writer and is quite realistic, describing in gritty detail the filthy streets of London and its inhabitants. Now that Enola's mother has disappeared, Mycroft wants to send her to boarding school but Enola wants nothing to do with that. So she finds a way to run away with the help of clues that her mother left her. She ends up in London embroiled in the disappearance of a young Marquess.

Enola is an intriguing and well drawn character and one worth rotting for. She's been told most of her life that is the shame of the family since her mother had her so late in life so she spends a lot of time trying to overcome this and discover the strengths in herself she didn't know she had. I will be recommending this one to any teenage or middle school girl I can find. Good stuff!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Case of the Missing Marquess.