Lonica's Reviews > Ender's Game

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Mar 12, 09

bookshelves: ya-class

I think that this novel would really appeal to boys. They would like the relationships between the boys in the novel and I think that they would be interested in the ways that the boys fight and their Battles during school. Girls would be interested in the novel because of the compassion I think they would feel for Ender and his situation.

The book addresses the concerns of children having to grow up a bit too young, the feelings of ostracizing that many teens may experience, and the desire to be understood as an adult at a young age.

I think the characters are believable, even though their situations may not be. The only aspect I found it difficult to overlook was Ender’s young age. I don’t really think that a six-year-old boy really could be expected to handle things the way he did. Certainly, though, his emotions were believable and I could imagine acting and feeling that way if I was in his same situation.

I think that this book would be really easy to promote to teens that were fans of science fiction—after all, this is one of the most praised science fiction novels ever written. I also think this book would appeal to anyone who enjoyed the Harry Potter books. Certainly, Ender is something like Harry, in that he is the only one who can save their society. Also, the aspect of having to suspend reality for this book is similar to the way that you need to enjoy Harry Potter.

5Q, 4P/5P (when it was more new and current), J/S

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Game.