LJ's Reviews > Veil of Lies

Read in November, 2008

VEIL OF LIES (Hist. Mys-Crispin Guest-England-1384) – G+
Westerson, Jeri – 1st in series
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780312379773

First Sentence (Personally, I think this is a terrible first sentence): The rain didn’t bother him, even though London’s rain fell thicker and harsher than country rain. (LJ- WHAT?)

Crispin Guest, a disposed knight, is hired by Master Walcote, a wool merchant, to find out whether his wife is being unfaithful. When Walcote is murdered, his wife hired Crispin to find a holy relic her husband brought back from his recent travels. The relic is a cloth which allegedly compels one to tell the truth. Crispin brutally discovered there are several people who desire this cloth.

I had such a problem with the opening sentence; it almost stopped me from reading more. I could see the city and country rain being compared because of feeling dirty or oily or colder, or destructive rather clean or fresh or life giving, but thicker? But I forged ahead and did find Westerson, other than the rain, creates a very strong sense of time and place.

The story is well plotted and included twists I didn’t see coming. However, it there were quite a few coincidences, which bothered me, and there were times, early in the book, the pacing felt choppy.

The characters: I understood Crispin being as he was, but he was also somewhat annoying. The best characters, to me, were Philippa Walcote and Jack, the street urchin who has adopted Crispin. I did love the way she weaved in actual historical characters in a very realistic manner. Kudos for that.

There was enough I liked about the book that I do look forward to reading the next I the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veil of Lies.