LJ's Reviews > Night Kill

Night Kill by Ann Littlewood

Dec 03, 08

bookshelves: amateur_sleuth, contemporary_post_1945, california, female_author, mystery, oregon, washington_state
Read in November, 2008

NIGHT KILL (Ama Sleuth-Iris Oakley-OR/WA/Cal-Cont) - G
Littlewood, Ann – 1st book
Poisoned Pen Press, 2008, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9781590585047

First Sentence: Hot breath from the lioness toughed my cheek.

Iris Oakley, a zookeeper at a small Vancouver, WA zoo, is having problems with her marriage. Her husband’s beer intake and distance have been getting out of hand and, in anger, she throws him out. Talking after a party, they decide to try again and Rick promises to give up beer.

The next day, he is found dead in the lion enclosure, reeking of scotch. At first Iris attributes dangerous threats to her life as accidents…until someone ransacks and sets fire to her house.

For me, the best part of this book was the information about working at a zoo and what goes on behind the scenes. It’s nice to have a book with a different than usual setting. Beyond that, it was a decent read.

I liked the character of Iris who is well drawn and believable. The description of Iris dealing with her grief was very true and provided an emotional impact. Iris was strong and smart and took the investigation step-by-step rather than flying off wildly. There is a good mix of secondary characters who add balance to the story.

The story itself was a bit predictable and I did figure out the killer fairly soon into the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Kill.