Ian Mapp's Reviews > American Purgatorio

American Purgatorio by John Haskell

Aug 15, 12

Read in August, 2006

** spoiler alert ** Is a book that is fairly dull until the last thirty pages (when everything comes together) actually any good?

Host of rave reviews on the we site.

Our protaganist loses his wife at a service station and embarks on a road trip across america to try and find her.

The premise - very much the vanishing.

The book is divided into the seven deadly sins, introduced in Latin (I so wish I knew this before the start) and the chapters and people he meets are described in a dream like manner which makes hard reading and a certain amount of incredulousness.

Towards the end, it is revealed in a page that is repeated in case you missed it that his wife is dead, killed in a crash. And from that point on the book improves as you realise that of course, he himself is also dead.

Quite how this relates to some of the physcial things that he describes happending to him, I dont know but it does (half) explain the reactions of other people to him.

A deep book that does stay with you... a challenge to read but one that is ultimately satisfying and makes you want to read again.

Very interesting.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Purgatorio.