Clifford's Reviews > Gone Girl

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

Aug 31, 12

bookshelves: novels, kindle-ebooks
Read from August 15 to 30, 2012

Oh, I was never tempted to stop reading, so maybe the 3-star rating is unfair, but really by the end of the book I wanted to kill the characters myself. I sometimes have read novels in which I didn't like the main characters, but usually I have cared what happened to them. Here I didn't--unless you count wanting them all to come to a bad end "caring."

But that's not my biggest complaint here. I know how hard it is to write across genders, but I don't think Gillian Flynn succeeded with Nick. At no point did I think he made a convincing man, and that frustrated me for the first half of the book, and rendered the ending implausible to me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone Girl.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Alan interesting. I've just finished GG and although I liked it more than you, in fact found it unputdownable, the likeability of the characters, and the ending is - maybe - a problem. Though I liked the ending..

Clifford I don't like being lied to by narrators. Unreliable is one thing, but after a while I realized I couldn't believe a word (fictionally speaking) either narrator was saying, and that annoys me.

Laura I hated the ending. Wanted to hurt someone.

Tricia Dower Wish I'd read your review before ordering the book, Cliff. Haven't started it yet. Succumbed to all the hype, I suppose.

Laura Tricia, it's WORTH the read. Just provocative. Plenty to discuss.

Clifford Yes, I agree with Laura. I wasn't sorry I'd read it.

Tricia Dower Thanks, Laura. Thanks, Cliff.