Catherine Ryan Howard's Reviews > How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming

How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming by Mike Brown

Aug 15, 12

Read in August, 2012

What a charming little book this is! In my experience, when a book is labelled "popular science" it really means "only slightly less complicated version of what the author knows; many brain cells and deep concentration required." But in Mike Brown's case, this truly is a science book that anybody can read—and that everybody should, because it's such a good read. For those that don't know, Pluto has been demoted, and the reasons why are a lot to do with the discoveries of one Mike Brown. This is the story of those discoveries and the controversy that followed, interspersed with episodes from Brown's personal life at the time of Plutogate—namely the birth of his first child, Lilah. There is a story in this book about the moon and baby sign language that reduced me to tears (and is threatening to do so again, now that I'm thinking about it) even though I have no maternal instincts whatsoever and rarely cry at books. (I need the sad music to get me going. That's why TV and movies work so well at reducing me to a blubbering wreck.) Highly recommended! Brown is the science teacher who not only makes you understand, but care as well. I was already interested in astronomy, but after this I'll never look at the night sky again the same way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming.