Matthew's Reviews > Chronicles, Vol. 1

Chronicles, Vol. 1 by Bob Dylan

Aug 15, 12

Even though I got about three thousand Bob Dylan songs and have even listened to 'Saved' and 'Knocked Out Loaded' repeatedly, I never considered reading this, because memoirs of celebrities are boring. But I started reading a friend's copy and got swept up in it and couldn't stop. The trick is that it's not really much about the man Bob Dylan, it's a colorful, free-wheeling, often funny selection of his thoughts on a wide variety of topics (the American Civil War, the Iron Range, Christmas, Machiavelli, Robert Johnson, New Orleans, a wide selection of literature and art and philosophy) as well as some vividly described encounters with a huge swath of American entertainers and personalities (Gorgeous George, Jack Dempsey, Tiny Tim, Woody Guthrie, and hundreds of others, but the character who stood out most for me was this fellow named Pananke, Dylan's first critic, a cantankerous fellow who seemed to really get under his skin). The flow of his thoughts, the humor, it's addictive, here's hoping he finishes the other volumes soon.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chronicles, Vol. 1.