deliciouslyfictitious's Reviews > Fifty Shades Trilogy

Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James

Aug 15, 2012

did not like it

I don't like to book bash, but I couldn't give this series any more than 1 star. The most positive thing I can say for it is that it does one thing extremely well: sell.

I've made a little list of its many irksome qualities. I call it "Fifty Shades of Grrrr". Read it in all its glory here on my blog.

To summarise: the characters are cardboard cutouts, the dialogue is banal and repetitive, the inner monologue of heroine Anastasia Steele is mind-numbing and the sex scenes are unnecessarily prolific, dull, and take away from any possibility of a plot. Very little happens throughout the whole series, and the stuff that does is highly contrived.

A classic it certainly ain't. In fact it's so poorly written that given Ana's supposedly discerning literary tastes, even she wouldn't read it. Its genesis as Twilight fan fiction is evident, and the conversion of the vampire/werewolf saga into erotica frankly makes for a pretty mindless reading experience.

As for it being a love story, the only reasons I saw for Ana’s “love” and devotion to Christian were that he was (and I quote) “so freaking hot” and she felt like she could save him from himself. Ah, the timeless tale of libido and the lure of emotional baggage. If Christian had just been "okay looking" it would have all been over far more quickly.

Regarding Christian's feelings for Ana, I found them more like emotional abuse than love, and it creeped me out a bit. Christian takes over Ana's life, keeps her on eggshells with his constant mood swings and causes her to alter her entire personality. I get that it's fiction, and I've got no issues with writing about this type of relationship, but I personally didn't like the way it was romanticised in this series.

Most of all, I'm annoyed I contributed to Fifty Shades' sales because I don't think its bestseller-OMG-it-outsold-Harry-Potter status is deserved at all. I read it to find out what all the hype was about. Goes to show hype is sometimes just that.

Read more of my reviews at www.deliciouslyfictitious.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fifty Shades Trilogy.