Nenia Campbell's Reviews > Beautiful Lies

Beautiful Lies by Jessica Warman

2190064
Mar 06, 14

bookshelves: ya-baby-ya, all-the-lovely-bones, first-reads, publisher-walker-childrens
Read from August 29 to 31, 2012

When I was fifteen, I got lost in a hedge-maze at Cawdor Castle. I climbed through a gap and found myself in a labyrinth of twisting and turning passages. Every time I thought I was getting close to the exit, I hit another green wall. My family was getting ready to leave. So I climbed through another gap. Suddenly, I found myself in the heart of the maze, completely walled in on all sides. "How the hell did you get in there?" my dad said, much to the amusement of the other tourists. I had to scramble through the shrubbery to escape. You know all those faerie tales about staying on the path? They're there for a reason.

[image error]

Reading this book was a little like that, except, you know, instead of being comprised of hedge, it's comprised of words and plot twists. At first I thought I knew where the story was going. Then I didn't. Then I was completely confused. Then I was suspicious that the author didn't know where she was going either, that she was scrambling around through the roots of the hedge trying to find a quick exit only to lose herself deeper and deeper within the maze. Then I got to the end and realized that I shouldn't have doubted the amazingness of Warman - of course she knew where she was going. The signs were there, all along. I will never doubt again.

Alice and Rachel are a rare form of identical twins: they shared the same amniotic sac and placenta in utero. They also have a special connection that goes beyond the one shared by most twins: they can tell when something bad is going to happen to the other, and when one twin suffers an injury, the other mirrors her response. Alice is the trouble-maker, the one that everyone is expecting to go crazy or get herself killed or both. Rachel is the sweet, reliable, logical one. The one everyone - even her sister - loves.

But sometimes they switch.

And when one of the twins goes missing, everything that they have is threatened - particularly when bruises and lesions begin to appear on her body. She knows her twin sister is in trouble. But who would kidnap her and why? And what if they accidentally kidnapped the wrong twin?

This book has the distinction of being the first ARC I've received that got a 5-star rating! I'm a really stingy rater, so this says a lot, and believe me you, Jessica Warman deserves every single one of those stars. I was actually really excited to win this book because I read her other book, Between, recently (after I'd applied for Beautiful Lies), and I'd had no idea that they were by the same author. But then I got the email telling me my application was successful - AND LO AND BEHOLD. THIS BOOK WAS BY THE AUTHOR THAT I HAD JUST READ AND LOVED. REJOICEMENT! EXCITEMENT! WHEE!

As you can tell, I was really excited.

I can't really tell you much about this book because there are just SO MANY twists, and they all start pretty early on in the story. My shelves should give you a hint as to what this story's about, though. It's very dark, and disturbing, but Warman writes so beautifully, you kind of love her anyway.

(Even if she does scare you senseless.)

4.5 to 5 stars!

I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review. This in no way biased or shaped my reading or opinion of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beautiful Lies.

08/29/2012 page 19
5.0% "And we're off to a good start!"
08/31/2012 page 146
35.0% "Oh, shit."
08/31/2012 page 202
48.0% ""Sometimes people's bodies get sick...and sometimes our minds get sick...[i]t's a fine line...[s]ometimes it can be hard to tell the difference. And sometimes the line is...blurred."

OH GOD. THE FEELS. THEY ARE MANY.
"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Wendy Darling Enjoying it? I'm reading it soon, I think!

Nenia Campbell Yup! It's really good. I just read her other book Between, and loved it, so I was SO HAPPY when I found out I got an ARC by her. ♥