Kelly H. (Maybedog)'s Reviews > The Iron Hunt

The Iron Hunt by Marjorie M. Liu

Aug 14, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: what-modern-fantasy, abandoned, what-female-protagonist, what-fae, what-not-mm
Read on September 18, 2012

Stilted writing. Writes without all words, expects you'll understand. Frequently, subjects not in sentences, verbs missing, commas instead of conjunctions, articles optional. Strange clauses strung together as one sentence, all in one, as one. Words. Phrases. Without grammar. Just a period. Sentence structure awkward, reading exhausting, what's happening unclear. Excerpt in book summary is an example. Not too bad, but whole book like that. But worse. Very confusing beginning, can't read more, too tedious. Others say writing good, I say trying too hard.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Iron Hunt.

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Usually with awkward sentencing and writing style, I try to listen to the book on audio, but this seems like it would even be difficult to get through on audio.

message 2: by Sesana (last edited Sep 18, 2012 07:04AM) (new)

Sesana Review like Mordin talks. Favorite character. Reading book like this, I'd hear his voice. Might be fun.

message 3: by Kelly H. (Maybedog) (last edited Sep 18, 2012 08:13AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Donna, that's a great idea. The audio would probably be a lot easier in cases like these. I agree though that this might be too much even for that. :)

Sesana, :) I'd never heard of Mordin but that's spot on! if you like him then go for it. It definitely would help if you had familiarity with that kind of speech. :) I was proud of how I wrote this review and your comment is excellent.

message 4: by Sesana (new)

Sesana I'm considering it! It might end up being the funniest book of the year for me. ;)

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Thanks Natasha! Sesana, you will have to tell me what you think.

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides Your review made me chuckle.

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Thank you. I love the word "chuckle."

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Pimentel Hahaha, I tried to read this book a year ago and I couldn't get past the beginning. I was considering trying to read it again but after reading your review I don't think so.

message 9: by JSA (new) - rated it 1 star

JSA Lowe This is hilarious. Hilarious. You have truly captured it. Her writing style. Disjointed. Drunken. Confusing. Yes.

message 10: by Kelly H. (Maybedog) (last edited Sep 22, 2013 05:53PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Kelly H. (Maybedog) Thank you, J.S.A. I like your post, too. Drunken is a good word for it. :)

Delfina I read this book and thought that maybe the Polish translation was bad, I guess it wasn't :D